Thursday, April 3, 2008

Metal Detector

Metal Detector

I have always wanted a metal detector. I remember seeing people with them when I was a young child, and I was fascinated with a machine that could tell you when something was buried underground. I never had one, though that didn’t mean my fascination with this type of technology would end. When I see an advertisement on television for a metal detector, I often stopped to watch it. I guess I’m a pretty practical person however, because I just don’t see myself ever owning one.

I can see were having a metal detector would be a lot of fun. But as would anything, there are some things to consider. You can use a metal detector just about anywhere you wish, but that does not mean you can dig anywhere you wish. If you dig in the wrong spot, you may dig up some sort of power or cable lines. If you do this, you may end up being in a lot of trouble. If you have ever had to take anything in your yard, you have probably had to call someone to make sure you are not digging where any lines are buried. Though these lines may not set off a metal detector, that does not mean you will not run into some if you were to dig.

If you want to find a great place to use a metal detector, you may want to use one on the beach. For the most part, you will never find any wires of any sort there. People lose all sorts of things on the beach, and you never know what you may fight. There is even more benefit to using a metal detector on the beach than you may have realized. Just the act of walking around with it for an extended period of time means that you are getting the exercise you need. I suspect this is part of the reason why people like to use them.

These are not to be confused with a metal detector you may find at the airport. These are not so much fun. When you are boarding a flight you have to remember to take everything metal off of your body, or you are going to be too late. While I understand that these are necessary, I still resent having to go through the metal detector time and time again because I forgot to take some change out of my pocket, or perhaps because it is so sensitive it is picking up on my zipper.